FUE hair transplant performed with sapphire blades
The daily growth of technological advancements has paved the way for the development of new, innovative methods of hair transplantation as well as treatments for hair loss.
Hair transplant techniques have evolved over the years. Eventually, hair transplantation evolved into a well-established and minimally invasive surgical procedure through the effective use of new medical devices.
Considered one of the most modern and widely used hair transplantation methods, FUE has gone a step further with the use of special devices with sapphire blades.
The difference between Sapphire FUE and Classic FUE in relation to the opening of the micro-channels
This technique uses special blades made from sapphire gemstones instead of traditional steel blades during the notching and channel opening processes.
To be more precise, FUE with sapphire blades is not a technique, it is an innovation that implements a new process within the FUE method. The blades are used to minimize scab formation and speed up the recovery process by opening microchannels.
In FUE with sapphire blades, after local anesthesia the hair follicles are removed one by one from the donor area by the use of a micro motor with micro punches of size 0.6 – 0.7 – 0.8 diameters.
With the FUE method, the extracted hair follicles must be transplanted into the incisions made. These channels have a great influence on the density, angle and direction of hair growth, which are the determining factors in achieving a natural look.
It is for this reason that the opening of the channels is of paramount importance and is considered to be the very important stage of the whole operation. Currently, sapphire blades are one of the main tools needed to properly open microchannels. After the opening, the hair follicles will be transplanted into these channels.
Small incisions the same length as the hair follicles are created using smooth and durable sapphire blades ranging from 1.0-1.3-1.5mm. As a result, more channels can be opened, which will allow hair follicles to be transplanted closer to each other.
Some hair transplant centers claim that they can transplant 65 to 70 follicular units per square centimeter to provide the patient with thick and natural hair. Neither sapphire nor steel blades offer such a high graft density. Because hair follicles must be transplanted taking into account the exact angle and direction of hair growth to achieve a natural look.
If 65 to 70 follicular units per square centimeter could be transplanted, it would not be possible to obtain a natural result, since this density would prevent the creation of incisions that coincide with the correct direction of hair follicle growth.
The natural angle of hair growth is 40-45 degrees. If the hair follicles are transplanted perpendicular to the scalp, at the cost of thickening, it will make the hair look unnatural
Advantages of FUE with sapphire blades compared to steel blades:
- Thanks to its qualities such as smooth surface with antibacterial properties, hardness, sharpness and durability, the use of sapphire blades for the microchannel opening process also reduces vibration. The risks of complications like trauma and damage to the scalp will also be reduced
- Compared to steel blades, FUE performed with sapphire blades allows for a denser graft, helping people with severe hair loss to achieve good results
- Sapphire blades help reduce the amount of tumescence (a special fluid to lift the skin from the bone) before making incisions.
- As a result, fluid retention experienced after surgery will be reduced and the post-operative phase will be shorter and more comfortable for a patient.
- As the incisions made for transplantation are smaller, tissue recovery will be faster.
The FUE technique with sapphire blades, which is used at the Easy Hair Greffe clinic, offers natural and aesthetic results. If you would like to have more information about FUE with sapphire blades, do not hesitate to contact us.